Introduce yourself!

Welcome @GenefinderOG! We’re glad to have your vast experience here on the community.

2 Likes

I first grew Cannabis on Cape Cod in 1975. Moving to Oregon in 1976 I immediately met growers in Western Oregon and managed a farm with over 2,500 plants. The owner of the farm was exporting it to Hawaii and selling it as Hawaiian for 4 times the going rate in Oregon (as I found out later.) In 1979 I struck out on my own, bought a Kubota tractor and planted over an acre outside Corvallis, Oregon. I got busted in Sept. 1979 with over 1,200 females. Charges were dropped due a faulty search warrant and the sheriffs who arrested me didn’t need the evidence anymore so they stole it. Three sheriffs got arrested by the Oregon State Police. Pissed off I started Sinsemilla Tips magazine with articles written by growers. I published that until 1990 when the DEA went after all my advertisers in Operation Green Merchant. I then published Growing Edge magazine (high tech info without mentioning Cannabis) until 2009 when I retired from publishing. Currently I speak at conferences (most recently at the 2016 Emerald Cup) as one of The Three Amigos of Cannabis (along with Jorge Cervantes and Jeff Lowenfels) and consult growers in legal medical and adult social use states. That is the short version…there is a whole lot more in between 1975 and now.

15 Likes

Welcome @tom! Your bust in 1979 sounds scary; thank goodness their search warrant was invalid. Any highlights from the Emerald Cup this year?

2 Likes

@tom . Very impressive chronological history of your career around the Cannabis plant. I look forward to hearing from you.

3 Likes

Hi my name is Sal,
I uave been in this industry professionally for the last several years. I started in Michigan and am now working on licensed facilities in Las Vegas and Massachusetts. I have been involved in every aspect of this industry and absolutely love what I do.

4 Likes

This was my 4th Emerald Cup. It grows expoentially every year. The main thing I noticed was how the Northern Cali growers are rapidly forming coops, branding and marketing their product. There were three or four times the number of brands at this years Emerald Cup compared to last years. Forming coops or collectives is what vegetable famers did 100 years ago to take on the then newly emerging Big Agriculture. Long time traditional Cannabis growers are doing the same thing to take on the emerging Corporate Big Cannabis that is on the horizon. The Las Vegas MJ Business Conference reprensents Big Cannabis. The Emerald Cup represents traditional Cannabis. The Emerald Cup also has the biggest turnout of any Canna conference, expo or fair: 30,000 peops. Las Vegas had 14,000. It is good to go to both so that one knows what is going on in both emerging segements of the Cannabis industry.

5 Likes

Welcome @sali78619!

@tom - the growth in brands is exciting. I imagine it will only get larger as California moves into licensing recreational now that it’s legal as well. Glad to hear about the coops coming together to protect the industry against too much centralization.

2 Likes

[quote=“SurnaInc, post:68, topic:69, full:true”]Besides work and school, I have a daughter that’s in college, 4 dogs, 2 cats and saltwater fish. I’m looking forward to great conversations here.
[/quote]

That’s a lot of pets! @SurnaInc How do you find free time?

Welcome, @tom, @sali78619, and @GenefinderOG! It’s great to have your experience on board!

1 Like

Hi everyone. This is probably going to be my forum post number 35,000 on industry forums :wink:

Theo Tekstra, product marketing manager at Gavita. I put my first seed in the soil in 1983. Been in the industry for a long time before I started to do it for a living. My background is in electronics and marketing.

I have been the administrator of the largest Dutch cannabis forum for many years, I know how much time it takes to keep an on-line community alive so much respect for the admins and moderators

I contribute to magazines and industry discussion groups, such as this one. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately actually, I don’t have much time to be active on the online communities anymore, so be a bit patient if you don’t see me for a while.

For support on Gavita products please do not message me, but contact our technical support department through our website www.gavita-holland.com, that is really much faster.

My primary objective here is to share knowledge, “enlighten” you if you wish, and share my views on developments. So I will be posting papers, editorials, news about some new products that are going to hit the market soon, and my opinions about things.

Don’t mistake opinions with facts though, not everything that is published on the internet is a fact. On contrary actually, we are flushed with inaccurate information. I write a column about that in Garden Culture magazine acually (You know what grinds my gears…).

So, pleased to be here and I will do my best to keep up with you!

ps… I am sure many recognize the avatar of my alter ego on the internet forums.

13 Likes

@Theo Welcome! Glad to have you on board. How was your Christmas?

2 Likes

Quiet, luckily :smile: - been a hell of a year.

4 Likes

@Theo. Welcome to the Growers Network Forum. I’ll be looking forward to your posts.

2 Likes

Howdy folks! My name is Adam and I live in Southern Oregon where the growing microclimates are oh so nice. There are definitely a few topics I am interested in starting up but I’m new to blogging and forums so please bare with me.
I started up Sungreen Gardens in 2014 and have been running it in Ashland Oregon with my wife. We produce indoor and sungrown cannabis focusing on high energy THC sativas and 2:1 CBD’s. My background is in Marketing and Graphic Design and I am an avid Snowboarder family man, amuture golfer, dj, artist, chef. Does anyone like talking about developing self sustaining in-house beneficial products?

8 Likes

This is great. There have been talks about coops in Southern Oregon but with the swift pace of legalization many have gotten caught behind and now we need them more than ever. We in the south part of the valley see a huge need because the Apple Gate to the north has had a longer history of being more publicly involved. Jackson county is quite conservative and I don’t think the county officials thought it would be legal and they still don’t think it can be profitable and sustainable. Too bad. Any ideas to getting some leadership coop established down here? THNX!

4 Likes

Welcome @sungreengardens! You might reach out to @susy as she’s started a local organization for Washington state and could give you some good advice I’m sure: http://www.cannabisfarmerscouncil.com/

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I am the primary Sales and Support lead for the manufacturer of the finest water making and nutrient delivery systems in Hydroponics. Additionally, I provide commercial consulting services and custom control solutions…when I’m not under the hood of a car.

6 Likes

By the way,

My profile image is of organic life forms in plasma within a filament bulb.
Pretty cool!

3 Likes

Neat, where did you get the picture from? Also, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thanks Hunter,

That image was taken by Eric Dollard. Also known as Mr. Tesla 2.0.

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool - I hadn’t heard of him before. Here’s his website for anyone else who wants to read up on him:
http://ericpdollard.com/

2 Likes