Katmwall first grow!

Anyone know when the best time to water a plant is for soil? Is it when the lights are on or off? I’ve read things that have said to do both so I’m a little confused.

I usually water by eye and schedule. I keep lights 24/7 as of now still coming out of seedling phase right before veg. I water nutrients 3 times then flush but all by eye depending on how wet soil is. So for example my reg feed is 1.5 liters each plant but some days I might just put 1/2 liter because the pot and soil is still wet. Even on flush day same applies for me. When I do it like this my plants stay up reaching for lights.

So I think I figured out what is wrong with lucky… I just went downstairs to check on it after getting home and saw that it’s light was still on. It’s light should have turned off around 11pm. So I was confused as to why it was on. Then I looked at my timer and saw that my timer wasn’t on, the light was just on the whole time. :sweat: so all this time I thought it was on an 18:6 light cycle, it was on a 24:0 light cycle. I’m not happy about it but I can’t do anything now. :disappointed: lucky is looking worse than ever.

the bottom leaves are starting to turn yellow and it seemed all dried up today. I stuck my finger down into the soil and it was pretty dry until I hit maybe an inch or more down. I gave it maybe a cup of water from the gallon I pH balanced to 6.45 and added 1 tsp flora nova grow to. I’m hoping the nutrient supplements will help it perk back up and bring forth healthy growth. I’m really nervous I’m killing lucky. Any help or advice is appreciated!!! I don’t want lucky to die!!

I don’t think the lights should have done that I’m running 24/0 and haven’t changed to 18/6 yet and plants look healthy. but from my research you can run 24/0 through whole grow until flowering. Might need to check nutrients, water, soil etc…maybe someone knows a little more on why but I don’t think it’s light cycle.

1 Like

Also what are your temps and humidity? That may play a factor. Also remember when you add nutrients that brings down ph so if you already ph balanced then added flora it may have went too low.

1 Like

I added flora nova then pH balanced it. That explains why the pH was lower than what I was expecting When i checked it after adding the nutes. My current temp is hovering between 71-72 degrees and humidity is at 56%. I have my humidity sensor keeping it between 40-60 (more-so hovering around 50% though)

1 Like

I would try to get temps to around 75-78 and humidity 60-65. Those work perfect for me even though I’m usually around 79-82, it’s hot here and my fans only do so much. Also if you have that same LED light I would follow the recommended height from canopy during veg phase. The led lights work a little diffrent I’m noticing after I raised mine my leaves wasn’t curling up as much.

1 Like

Follow that humidity temp chart prey sent u earlier. Works like a charm

1 Like

I still don’t completely understand that chart. :sweat: I’ll look at it some more though and see if I can better understand it and what it means. I will also give my plant some more space from the light to see if that helps. I’m still waiting for the lights that preybird suggested I buy to arrive so I’m still stuck with my horrible one for now. It really doesn’t put out much heat so I don’t know how to raise the temp in the tent. That’s my big problem.

You find the temperature your at and follow over to the green boxes and that should be your humidity setting. If your humidity is in the red zone u have to adjust, You can go into blue or yellow but green is best

1 Like

You can still work with that light until then. Just use the manufacture recommendations. I’m using LED right now also. If you can adjust the spectrum I would blast blue and medium white and low reds

I wish I could adjust the colors but there’s only one switch on the light itself. So I’m pretty sure I can’t adjust it. :disappointed: I’m hoping that my plant is still just recovering from being overwatered and it will be fine in a couple days.

How much water do you usually give them? And which size pot

It’s a 3 gallon pot but I just moved it there, it was in a smaller pot before and may have become root-bound. The pot it was in before was maybe 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon and plastic. This new pot is fabric as well. I used to water until water came out the bottom, then i would wait to water again till the top soil was dry (usually 4 days or so) and water again. Since transplanting I have only watered once. I transplanted last Friday. I gave some water today (maybe a cups worth) because I’m worried the soil in the bottom is still wet but where the plant is is dry.

1 Like

So I have same pot also. I’m waiting on my pot stands because I heard it need oxygen at bottom. So far I have same clear saucer as u. I feed them 1.5 liters of water w/nutrients for 3 days and 1 day flush with same amount of water. Nutrients consist of a base, grow, cal+mag and super thrive. When I water it this way most the water comes out bottom into clear saucer twice then I empty saucer twice and place then back in.

1 Like

Sometimes I would use less than 1.5 liters if the soil looks super wet. Like 600ml or 1 liter but If not I’m using the whole 1.5 liters

1 Like

@katmwall usually overwatering refers to the frequency at which you are watering not so much the amount of water. The medium will let you onow when its ready for water. If you have to weigh the pot after a watering and then weigh it again once the medium is dry and you can use this as a guideline. I cant remember what medijm your running, but you may want to try and supplement some Cal-Mag on your next feeding. But check your nutrients to see if its already added. Also refer to your mediums instructions on if they recommend Cal-Mag
Best of luck.

3 Likes
2 Likes

@mkneller33 I am growing in soil mixed with coir, perlite, and worm castings. I will look into the CalMag! I think I’m going to need it soon (if not already). I just started on nutrients last night so I’m hoping that helps. I’ll order some CalMag today. Any recommendations on brands or where to get it?

1 Like

At this point I wouldn’t be too picky if your running advanced nutrients they make one thats decent. Whatever you can get quickest. Most cal mag can be added to any nutrients. May have to check ph if your not using the same one as your food.

2 Likes