MW's 1st Grow Journal

Oh, I also got rid of the 6" intake fan I had on one of my vents.

1 Like

Just a quick update as there is not much going on above ground yet here at Day 7.

A couple random babies

Its very early in the game but so far so good.
Watering by hand, just started 50% Jack’s.
Still very happy with the AC Infinity fan. At a setting of 3 I have to look at the blades to know if its running. So quiet!

Starting to plan my outdoor grow for this year. I did an experiment with growing outside last summer. I germinated and planted some mystery beans in dirt in little pots. I put them outside and neglected them, other than water. They did great! I was really happy with them. We have a short growing season in this part of Colorado so I am planning to start some autos in my room to be hardened and moved outside when the weather is right. Might try clones from one of these girls. We will see.

Glad to be growing and scheming on growing again.

5 Likes

Day 13 - and things are happening above ground! I have been giving 100% Jacks once a day now for a week. The lights is about 20" above the plants at 75% power. They seem to be pretty happy so far.

4 Likes

Day 22 - Looking pretty good.

Still watering by hand everyday. Light is at 80%. RH from high 40s to low 60s. Temp 65-72
Getting ready for the Hydro lock cones on a couple. I am going to try LST on these autos over the top of the cones.

I only have 6 cones sets so I am going to try running just one water line to each plant and make some kind of shield so I can use just one hydro lock cone. Well see how that goes. The 6 plant expansion kits is $60 so I am going DIY. I will post pictures. One water line per plant should be fine. I’ll just run them longer. Stay tuned!

3 Likes

Trust me it does that to all of us lol. The resolve part on letting them go long enough, they look so frosty you just KNOW that they are ready even though they are not yet. It’ doesn’t get any eaiser with time either lol. Least not for me it hasn’t, especially when I am out, and my arthritis is flairing up.

Marty

1 Like

Its been a while since I posted an update. What do you think?
@LoCoRocK @nacho151 @happilyretired @sssportsmfg @OlyBoy @excommunicato @PreyBird1 @Skinnyhb @bullfrog420
Day 41 - Fem/Auto Grow - Having fun with LST.

Switched to auto watering this week. Going out of town next week and no one will be home to tend them. I added a light dose of Fulvic acid to my feeding.

This is my first real Auto grow but I think the Blue Dreams are starting to flower. Should I stop training them now?

8 Likes

Looking real good. I think you can train as long as you want. When the plants get too close to lights people super crop them and tie them over. A big part of growing the stuff is feeling good doing it if it feels good to train do it.

5 Likes

This guy gets it!

4 Likes

Looking very nice, great training. You can LST them as long as you want but since those are autos I don’t think you will need to, I think they are starting flower too.

Good job
Marty

3 Likes

Looking awesome man. How ya been. Lst is awesome. I need to do more of it. But damn it with all my strains and breeding i do not have the time for it. Or the room really. A big plant can take up 4 square feet. I can flower oit 4-6 plants in that space and a up to 6 flavors or flowers. Thats why i just cant seem to even do it. I gets in the way of things for me. And sometimes shit happens and i go off schedule and 2 weeks is all it takes for me to screw the pooch on a run. 3-5 days is acceptable but but some seed runs take 2-3 weeks longer for max seed yield and when tour 9weeks into a breeding project it take precedence over other things.

2 Likes

Day 52 - I was gone for 5 days but all the girls did real well. They are stretching like crazy. They got about 30% more volume of water/Jack’s/fulvic acid than I thought, based on how much is gone ,but they seem to be loving it so I’ll leave it alone.

So far only the Blue Dreams have flowered but the Velvet Heat is really starting to grow out and expect flowers soon.

I am pleased with the effects for LST! I think I probably doubled or tripled the potential yield of “good” bud. That is obviously a guess because I don’t have a control group but I’d say it is a good guess. Another tool in the tool box.

Humidity is on the 60s with an occasional 70. Temp stays around 65 - 75. I am just sticking with the plan, watching for issues and enjoying the journey. I really enjoy watching what everybody else is doing too. I love this place.

If I start another run before we move I may reconfigure the room. It is 4 x 8 room and I grow in one 4x4 end. I might reconfigure it as an “L” with one 8" leg and a 4" leg. I would get an extra couple of square feet of grow space but more important it will be easier to get to all the plants without shuffling them all around. Once they get bigger its kind of a hassle but I need to do regular, visual inspections. The only expense would be the additional light for a 4x2 area.

7 Likes

Hey @mrwonderful defoliate those a bit and they will really get bigger. In 3 days you wont even notice the leaves gone.

3 Likes

Thanks @PreyBird1 I’m on it!

2 Likes

So I defoliated until I felt like a war criminal and they really jumped up. The Velvet Heat (Indica Hybrid, auto, fem) has not started to flower yet but is stretching pretty well. I think 8 plants is going to be too many in my space the way everything is growing. I have to trim a little everyday to keep them off each other.

I lowered the grow area a foot to give me more light travel.

They seem to be happy. It will be nice to have one crop finish a few weeks before the other.

6 Likes

All your plants look great. :+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

Hey my buds don’t smell! WTF? My Blue Dreams autos have been flowering for a couple of weeks. I didn’t notice but My Lovely Bride mentioned that they have very little smell. My smeller is not the best so I rely on MLB’s bloodhound like abilities. I have only grown a few crop cycles but they all the previous grows had more fragrance at this point.

So, are autos less fragrant? it is just too soon? A bum strain? What gives? Are we suffering from PSA (Premature Smell Anticipation)? I hear the only cure is time…

4 Likes

That sounds like a question for mud… @mudman :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Some seem to take a little longer to really start kicking out the funk, but as a general rule, I haven’t noticed my autos being less stanky than my photos. It may be a problem specific to that breeder’s version of the strain. Time will tell. If they don’t stink by the time they have noticeable trichome coverage, may be bum beans.

Sure look nice though!

4 Likes

Thank @mudman, I’ll be patient. At this point we have what we have.

Dumb question time! Is a strong smell always related to high potency?

Surprised that my Velvet Heat plants are still growing out and haven’t started to flower yet. It is really interesting how different the two strains are. They don’t just look different, they grow different, I think they consume water at a different rate as the pots get lighter slower than the Blue Dream.

4 Likes

Not a dumb question at all and actually no. Some strains just don’t have as much smell. There’s one called The White that’s known for having very little smell. It still rings in at up to 30% thc. Smell is more terpene related.

3 Likes