My Summer's Grow

Thank you so much @happilyretired - and you are right - the small tent does look like my outdoor girls looked only chunkier - its one of the reasons I like them so much - but I like the indoor look too - what’s a poor boy to do? haha
One of the things that may be affecting the leaves in the BT are the UV treatments - They are still getting 7 hours a day of UVab - @TheMadFlascher wondered if it could possibly be contributing to cellular breakdown in the leaves or possibly it triggers the fade earlier. - something to watch.

I do like running 2 different environments in my tents - it keeps things interesting and I can try different things and see how they like them.
I have been thinking about that Rockwool set up and running 9 plants in RW squares in my 4x4 in a tray with maybe an aquavalve5 from my autopots but I think I am going to wait until next fall to do that - I am going to run 9 photos again in a month with 6 in autopots but in fabric with airdomes and 3 in rain science like now - I really like the diversity of challenges it gives me as well as a very satisfying garden experience.apeo

8 Likes

Rock wool isn’t the best for wicking. It’s best either flooding or top water. My next grow I’m going to do in 3 inch cubes for vegging and sexing then I’m going to set those on top of slabs in a tray. Lots more plants same space same grow medium shorter veg time.

10 Likes

That sounds fascinating - I’ll be watching :eyes:

7 Likes

Thats what I did back in 78-79. I built a 2’ x 4’ table and put cuttings in 4" rockwool cubes. Covered with plastic until I saw roots. Then after a couple days hardening off I removed the plastic and set right to flower. Flooded it 2 times a day and let it drain back into tub. took about 5 mins to drain the table after filling. had a harvest every 10 weeks. I kept big mother plants and took all the cuttings to fill the table at once. So 2 weeks for the rooting/veg period and 8 weeks flower. It was a sweet setup in the closet back then. Used a 1000w HPS over the table and had a 1000 MH over the mother plants. Never heard of Sea of green back then but that was pretty much what it was.

If I could find an organic solution for the flooding I would do it again.

10 Likes

I saw it in a journal somewhere I can’t remember where it was they were doing living soil and they had a PCV frame with a canvas interior to hold the soil it was a 2 x 4‘x 1 foot deep set up and it was living soil. I imagine if you put your starters in there for two weeks and then flipped it it would work just fine.

10 Likes

Day 42 since Flipping

This is my best grow yet IMO -
I am getting ready to start an experiment with my autopot gals - I absolutely LOVE the beefiness of the girls in the small tent being hand top fed - I also LOVE the autopot look which is very different - I can appreciate the differences BUT I want to bring some of that goodness from the top fed into the autopot world - I intend to create a simple tubing below the salt layer (about 2 inches down from the top) with holes - 1/2 inch clear tubing which I can then syringe diferent things that do not lend themselves to bottom feeding - I stll won’t be able to top dress (I need to figure that out) but this is a step in the right direction -
I will be dropping on Jan 2 - I have my preliminary line up all picked out :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I am not sure that I have a favorite time in the life cycle of a cannabis plant - but if I did it would be now - the last couple of weeks before Harvest, when the sea of green explodes with color, texture and smells - I love when its lights on at 5am and I go down to see how my gals liked their nights sleep and I found Anesia seed’s Blackberry Moonrocks looking all beautiful in her new found colors - I decided to take a scope to her and her trichome development is coming along nicely - She is at 44days so a week or 2 to go depending on the speed of evolution…

I will be going for more amber this run as I have a tendency to chop early and this summer I wanted to beat the bud rot before it took more of my gals’ buds…

20 Likes

nice photography! Looks like a crystal garden.

7 Likes

Thank you - I always have a hard time because I take the scope pics while the buds are still on the plant - A lot of people will take the bud off and this allows the lighting to be better than 1200 watts raining down on you haha - as well as trying to take a picture of a bud that is moving when you put the scope up against it - but I don’t like to take any buds before their time :slight_smile:

11 Likes

one of the gals in my tent is a tester from a breeder I know from Instagram and the nutrient company I use - Fishermanseeds - This is a new strain he asked me to test a cross of Purple Cherry Cookies x Apple Fritters - she is 45 days from flip and he says another 2-3 weeks - the colors are really coming out now and she is very sturdy, loud and gassy - Great genetics - I will be running a bunch of Biker OG crosses from him next grow.

ooops I turned the light down :slight_smile:

He liked the way things are growing here and is sending me something special in time for my next drop :upside_down_face: I should be sending him something special haha - I don’t know what it is but I will be sure to make room for it somehow/someway :pray:

BudBusterPro has been used from seedlings on this grow’s gals
I think I am going to let the basement get colder as the tents finish up to replicate mother nature - my basement is below the surface so it stays fairly consistent at 50 degrees and dryer than the rest of the house -

13 Likes

That’s some good looking bud right there I’ll tell you…:wink::+1:t3:😶‍🌫

9 Likes

Thank you so much @happilyretired !
He’s got some real fire - I am going to be running several Biker OG crosses - all tested over 31% in the lab - He says this gal will explode in another 2 weeks (she’s a nine weeker)

11 Likes

Great Thread and a super read

thank you for sharing your work I love to see what others are doing in their

grows and what works for them

all the best and enjoy the day

Dequilo

6 Likes

Thank you so much @dequilo :pray:

2 Likes

I will be taking down Peach Marachino Christmas morning - her trichomes are perfect -

She actually smells like a Peach :slight_smile:

I think the prettiest of the flowering gals in the Big tent is Acid Rain from @rapseed

And in the small tent.

I am so in love with the look and feel of the small tent - I am hoping I can replicate some of the goodness with the setup I intend for this net run with a tube embedded in the soil below the salt layer so I can top feed things that would normally clog the autopot - it would also help the nutrient uptake with an up and down flow of feed and wick -
I am hoping I can get more foliage vigor in late flower this way - I do believe the UV treatments may have accelerated leaf cell degrading, but I also believe the method od nutrient uptake had a big hand to play - I will find out this next run - I will be lowering the amount of UV exposure from 7 hours a day to 2-4 hours in veg and up it as flower progresses.
Thanks for looking
and wishing you and your loved ones all the happiness in the holidays and in your everyDAYS!!! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Not just the trichomes. She’s BEAUTIFUL! :metal:

10 Likes

Thank you - She is one of my favorite breeders -

8 Likes

Kind of biased to the Acid Rain but that Peach is a peach :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

The Peach is pretty but truly Acid Rain is the prettiest in person IMHO -
They are both Honor plants so it doesn’t surprise me that they are the most expressive - Its always so hard - its sort of like picking your favorite of your children every grow - Each has several special qualities and in their own light are the prettiest plant I have ever seen :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have a system to germinate seeds that has worked for the past several runs - and usually I don’t fix something that’s not broken (well that’s not entirely true :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) but there was something about it that I didn’t like - I have been soaking the seeds in a solution of inoculants and humics for 8-10 hours and then put into soil and under lights - I would never have a tail or even a cracked shell - 3-5 days later it would pop. Perfectly fine method and worked good -
However, I feel like I need to dial some things back - I tend to overdo - especially if its good stuff - I have come to a place where more is not always better - and sooner is not always better either -
I didn’t like the paper towel method but in someone’s thread - someone else (I am sorry but I didn’t bookmark it and don’t know who to give credit or to thank - but thank you) there was this video

Is Float Tech the Easiest Way to Germinating Seeds?

I decided to give it a try with some seeds that I can experiment and throw away -
So I took 3 different strains 4 seeds each
2 different cups with 2 seeds each - one only tap water 1, 3, 5
the other - RO water with a drop or two amounts of EM1, SLF100, Dr. Root, URB, Jump Start, coconut, Aloe, MiiM, Malted Barley in cups 2, 4, 6
I put them on top of a heat mat and in the dark - 3 days later ALL 6 of the seeds that were in the tap water only cups had germinated and had tails with the shell still attached - the 6 seeds in the solution had one or 2 slight and pathetic tails but nothing on the others - so I decided to go one step further and put them in a small cup of dirt and under some lights and here they are a couple of days later.

a couple needed some help to shed the shell but otherwise trouble free and I LOVE it - it is the easiest method so I am going to try a round with my high value seeds and go from there - I feel like I have been stunting the seedlings a little in the beginings of their life and I want to try a simpler and purer method.

7 Likes