Scryptic's Newbie Grow --> Blackberry Kush & Super Silver Haze

Very good points. I was thinking the same thing about it turning into a trimming jungle nightmare. :pleading_face:

Also since I live in a 'sober community ’ I have to take extra precautions not to get anything on my skin because I get random UA’s here. :joy:

I learned that you can absorb THC enough to fail a piss test just by touching weed consistently. Once they start trichome production I’m going to have to wear long sleeves and tape it at the wrist to my gloves to be certain. If I fail a UA I would get kicked out of here.

9 Likes

Be safe don’t want to jeopardize you living situation

8 Likes

To me it’s worth the risk because I strongly believe in standing up for our rights as Americans. Cannabis is legal in Minnesota and I won’t let some backward religious people tell me it’s wrong.

I believe cannabis and other ethnobotanicals are gifts from God or Mother Earth if you prefer intended to be used as medicine. :test_tube:

7 Likes

very nice job so far I would uncover any bud sites but be ready for a heavy defoliation 3 weeks after flip

6 Likes

Nah, I would still defoliate them now, don’t have to pluck em like a chicken therefor… Just lollipop and thin out the bush. Leave maybe 2 or 3 nodes per branch. Then leave em stretching, keep an eye out for when they’re done with that.
Then a schwazz like Slymer mentioned, or less hardcore, that’s up to you. I’m a schwazzer too…

8 Likes

Ok thank you for the advice. I was wondering about how many nodes I should allow to grow since it seems like some won’t be able to hold very big buds.

What is schwazzing exactly? I’ve seen Slymer’s grows and I like the way the buds are all you see basically.

6 Likes

Schwazzing is the most extreme form of defoliating, usually done twice, just before or at flip to flower and then again after stretch (around the day 21 mark usually, but I just go by the stretch like I said).
It’s removing ALL fanleaves, some growers like to strip all the nodes too and leave only the very top node. Some leave 2 or 3 nodes.

If you go over to @ultrapuff thread, he recently posted a very good photo of what it looks like, as he’s a schwazzer too :slight_smile: :+1:
Many discourage new growers to schwazz because it’s so extreme, could cause hermies and bla bla. But hey, throw the cat in the water, it’ll swim.

9 Likes

@scryptic here you go mate

8 Likes

Old photo of mine…
Pretty much a schwazz too, but I left more nodes here.

10 Likes

I think I’m going to aim for something in between. I’ll probably leave a few fan leaves but it’ll be close to Schwazzing.

6 Likes

4xghva

5 Likes

I had a change of heart. I’m going to only remove the nodes that are spindly undergrowth that I should have removed last defoliation along with the fan leaves under the canopy.

I’m just going to let them grow as they are for the most part. I don’t want to do anything that could jeopardize my first grow. I will probably experiment with schwazzing in the future though.

7 Likes

No need to schwazz at all now, just one way to go about it.

But I do strongly recommend removing a bunch of those fanleaves from that thick bush a bit homie… unless you like mold and small buds (who were covered by big fanleaves).

8 Likes

Will do. It definitely needs to be thinned out.

8 Likes

Flower Day 5

I trimmed some lower branches and a few fan leaves. I am going to see how they stretch and then defoliate heavily in a couple weeks. Just fired up the UV IR strips too.

PPFD 715-785
RH 50-54 going to decrease to 45-50
Temp 75-77F

These are the only leaves like this on the SSH. Does this look like an issue or is it nothing?

7 Likes

The girls are thirsty! I’m going to water 6 liters today instead of the usual 4. They’re definitely using much more water :sweat_drops: than before flowering.

7 Likes

Ur trying living soil or just organic like. Do u water til runoff at all push some old out and let the new take place?? They look super good thick and all. I’d be happy with them for my first go round. They look great man.

7 Likes

I haven’t been watering till runoff but just now when I watered the usual 4 liters I have runoff and usually there’s very little from dripping down the sides. It’s odd. Normally it just saturates.

@Mark0427 Thank you for the compliments! I’m pretty happy with the way things are growing. :microbe:
Yes I am mostly organic with Coast of Maine nutrients but the Cal-Mag I use is 2-0-0 and the Silica Boost is 0-0-1. In CalMag it’s Magnesium nitrate and Calcium nitrate.Is this maybe a risk for nitrogen burn?

I see about 3 or 4 leaves like this on the SSH. Is this nitrogen burn?

5 Likes

Flowering Day 7

I see pistils forming and the beginnings of what looks like trichomes on the BBK

And the SSH

They perked right up after a good watering! :melting_face:

10 Likes

They may have had runoff fairly quickly because they got too dry when soil gets too dry it gets hydrophobic and it runs through instead of absorbing you would need to water super slow so it can absorb when it’s really dry

8 Likes