Sssportsmfg 2022 Grow log 100% Organic x Runtz x Bruce Banner x Candy Store

Thanks for this reply! Just the kind of stuff I was wondering! And I had a lightbulb moment. If you top/train your plants, you have more consistent maturing, I guess. Thanks very much sir. Your patio sounds like a nice place!

9 Likes

I just started to harvest the top buds and let the smaller buds on the bottom of the plant to mature more.

And man, those small buds on the bottom got super strong! Stronger than the big buds on top.

Before I started doing that, I would harvest the small buds on the bottom with the entire plant. Then I would use those small buds to make butter, coffee, tea, edibles, etc.

I recommend trying my first suggestion. Leave those small buds on the bottom and set it outside if you need room in your grow space.

Leave it for a couple more weeks to mature and you’ll be impressed! I think I let one go about a month longer and it got so strong.

:v:. :green_heart:. &. Good Luck!

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never tried partial harvest, but I think I will do so with my next couple of autos. They’re nearly done up top…

7 Likes

Ahh the lower larf. I could care less about it. So im making butter and working on eddibles to get rid of it. Lol get rid of it…I have to much all the time lol. I dont have time for more ripening and im guilty of letting the plant go until the lowers are really done then i just chop. Some times the plant is wayy over done but doeant bother me really because i take all the big fatty head Buds for myself. Then they go into my library of flavors lol mmmm. The rest finds it way to my people…

7 Likes

Not so much an update…just thought this was a nice picture. Candy store 8.5 weeks.

Marty

15 Likes

Outstanding!!! What a beaut. High Times cover buds dude.

7 Likes

Thank you sir. They would be much better if I could manage to get through one damn grow without something screwing up. Or me screwing something up lol.

Marty

7 Likes

Well this one is a update, and a VERY disappointing one at that.

Just took down the first plant, one of the two Runtz/White Caviar that I put in on this grow. The disappointment is not about the strain at all, it is about two things, the absolute useless moisture meters not one but two of them. And the knowledge of how much better this grow COULD have been.

I watered this morning 1/2 gal. into each 10 gal fabric pot. Checked the moisture with the meter and it was showing soaking swamp wet at the bottom of the pot containing the Runtz. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

It was DRY and not just DRY,…BONE DRY. The root mass is the worst I have ever seen in any of my grows, Tiny and only using less than a quarter of the 10 gal pot. ZERO roots in the bottom 1/3 of the bag, and only very sparse in the 1/4 to 1/2 area vertically in the bag Almost all the roots were in the top 1/4 of the fabric bag and not even out to the edges. Not sure if it was because of starting them using the non-woven bags …which made it really east to transplant, but looks like it may have drastically suppressed the roots, or because the roots never found any moist soil to move into.

First pic is with the soil slid out of the fabric bag still intact and showing how bone dry it was except for the top 1/4 of the soil. And carefully broken away until I got to the tip of the probes. If you look carefully you can see the tip of the probe top center. The soil was dusty dry.

Notice that the moisture meter is showing soggy wet inserted all the way down to where you see the soil broken away which is 80% of the way down the pot in the first pic. And it is actually BONE DRY.

And the last pic showing the pathetic root mass.

This is the 50/50 coco Pro mix soil that I made up at the beginning of this grow. I have NEVER had this problem with coco only, my root mass has always been down to the bottom of the grow container.

I have been watering between a quart and a quart and a half every single day, depending on if the top was still showing moist or if it had dried out.

Not sure how to solve that problem, does anyone know of a accurate moisture meter with long probes? Impossible to tell what your soil is like inside the fabric bags on the moisture content, but never had this problem before with straight coco. It was always moist top to bottom when I took down my grows prior to this.

They are all within a week of being taken down maybe two at the most…far to late to fix anything now.

Marty

10 Likes

Marty, sorry to hear your issues…
Guess the old ‘weight of the bag’ routine’s the best option.
I wouldn’t knock your soil mix…that coco/Promix seems well accepted…

6 Likes

Yeah sorry man, I’m a bag lifter, deep dirt fingerer.

7 Likes

LOL, very reveling, but the question remains…can you hit bottom???
Please provide independent verification !!!

:no_entry_sign: :no_entry_sign: :no_entry_sign:

6 Likes

:palm_down_hand: :palm_up_hand: :palms_up_together: :ok_hand: :pinched_fingers:

Probes are about 30-35" long.

7 Likes

Hahaha, well there is the Reach-around from under the pot maneuver or the Shoot The Moon. Haha Bob you got me laughing bud.
et-point-finger

7 Likes

Monkey,

What would probably work best for you, and be a hell of a lot more accurate is gypsum blocks…you just plant the block as deep as you like…there are two wires attached to them that you just bring above the surface. Whenever you want a reading you just hook the meter to the wires and take it!
It’s basically just measuring resistance (OHMS) between the two wires in the block…dry more resistance/wet less.

https://www.irrigation-mart.com/items/TEN-200SS-5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLPSpojW-AIV7j2tBh0pJwDZEAYYCSABEgKsaPD_BwE

A single ‘block’ would last through several grows but the damn meter is pricey…I think I would check ebay or amazon for a used one…

In fact there’s a SLIGHT possibility I may be able to get my hands on one out in the farm office…
Don’t hold me to it…but I will take a look…maybe go out there on Sunday so I can rumage through all the memorabilia!

PS…IMPORTANT if you do use them NEVER CUT THE WIRES SHORTER…their impedance is factored into the meter reading!!!

6 Likes

Oh Yeah,
I can see from the picture you were definitely a ladies man…
And that’s all I’m gonna say about that…

7 Likes

Kinda hard to get to the back of the tent, crawling between four other pots, then try and get an accurate weight reading when you’re all twisted up…hummmm is that 40 lbs…or did I forget to eat my cheerios this morning hehehe…

I have three of those shit meters…they all read the same. Oh well I’ll just go back to watering the shit outta them like I used to. Gallon and a half or so every three days until it runs out the bottom of the pot. Then let it dry out a bit. Wait that won’g work…they got that much and are dry as a bone…I know 20 gal outta do it. Now where the hell is my drain hoses…

Marty

8 Likes

Well i have been there before @sssportsmfg. It happens and can happen easily and rapidly. It usually starts when the media gets way to dry. Then it does not rewet very well. Ive totally screwed up seed runs with the slip of not watering. So i practice consistency of water times and amounts. Now im getting my roots all the way down and around the pots. If i dont water to run off i can get this issue.

9 Likes

The good news is that despite this dry pot syndrom…they got quite frosty.

Marty

13 Likes

Surprising how much bud you get for the small root mass

9 Likes

This is why i use bags. 1 gallon

12 Likes