Too aggressive with Supercropping?

Yes, please provide all of the details!

2 Likes

Here are the Slapz and Goji this morning. I cannot keep the branches from stretching upwards even though the lights are only about eight or nine inches above them.
Should I install the scrog screen to force the banches laterally?
I harvested the Runtz the other day, so these two plants are the only ones in the 3×3 tent.

6 Likes

Lol Goji is a big Girl. The mother was really Big as well.

5 Likes

I would put the net and spread them out/trim them up that should fill the tent

5 Likes

Here they are this morning. Have I thinned them out too much?
And yes, my lights are complete garbage which is why the centers of both plants are reaching up so much.

4 Likes

Actually the plants naturally do that. Its apical dominance and if you just let them grow naturally they do that. The trick is to bend those tops down to the same level or just below the other shoots so that there even. Once you do this tie the stem down so it cant go back up. And all the plants auxins/hormones go down and send more growth to the lower shoots and those buds get fatter then when you can see them getting bigger you can untie the top cola and let it continue to grow back up. Thats called breaking the apical dominance of the plant. Now back in the 90’s some growers would cut the top cola off completely. Like topping but in the begining of flower. For example if you took a plant and say topped it once now you have 2 mains. Top them again 4 shoots. Then top those shoots 8 mains. Now say you did this 4 more times and now you have all these tops and you think you can get a lot more buds with more shoots
well that will get you a shit load of tiny popcorn nugs. You want nice golf ball sice buds not a bunch skittles sized buds. The plant will alter its growing phases depending on what is happening to it physically. And you want to concentrate the growth on less flowers so they get bigger not a lot of tiny buds all over ising the ppants energy. Thays why we try and open up the plant to get light on the little buds. Or they are sucking life force from the plant and wasting growth below the canopy. And the plant will try and grow to tje light using more energy and wasting time. @treetrunks has his system down nicely.

7 Likes

Yep I was just going to say similar you can top it super crop it or bend it over in veg and it won’t grow so tall it will get more bushy it has nothing to do with lighting the plants look good imo

6 Likes

I guess it is too late to try to bend those centers down as well as add some coffee grounds to them?

3 Likes

No. Just squeeze the stem all the way around in a 1 or more inch area to soften it so it bends not snaps or breaks ect. It will still do fine for u and itll help them lowers before it gets too much farther along. Go for it on one pkant if u have 2 seperate lights because when u super crop it ur gonna want to lower the light down lower so they all receive more light as they need. Right ñow the main is keeping the light wat farther from all other buds than it really needs to be. U would def get alot more weight from each plant making u feel a bit better about ur lights. We all have to work with what we got. Put a 20 on the side each check if u can in a drawer til u get wnough to get a decent spider farmer or so.

3 Likes

Yep definitely pinch squeeze soften main stem untill it’s ready to bend then lay it over and put a little wire to hold it so it stays down you will be much better off so u can lower light for better light penetration/harvest

3 Likes

So I should pinch and bend these two stalks even as thick as they are now?

4 Likes

Ok, I bent the two main stalks and secured them to the net. I did the same to a few of the thinner stalks.
I wrapped the pinched area on both center stalks with fabric tape.

5 Likes

It doesn’t look like you’re getting much light penetration. If you look at the bottom of your plants in the bottom picture, you can’t even see the separation in the leaves there’s so much shadow. You should be able to see the light in a couple places on the ground underneath the plant at this point. All that stuff that’s not getting light is pron to problems like mold and insects and such. you might start by removing some of the large leaves, blocking all the light from the lower growth. Once you get some of them, bigger leaves out of the way and you see the lower growth is all very light green. You will see what I mean. :v:t3:

7 Likes

I will thin out thise leaves best I can. But my lights are of such poor quality, that I am not expecting sufficient light penetration.

6 Likes

You can drop your light as low as you can before its hot on the top leaf canopy. I do this by holding my hand there as long as i can to see how hot it gets.

Usually specs are from 18 to 23 inches above canopy.

7 Likes

I lowered mine to about 6 inches above them.

5 Likes

OK, just to show you how easy it is, I had everything on hand two pieces of garbage, which are the cups that I used to start my plants last round, I needed a spacer to keep the clone standing up, and I had a cube of rock wool laying around so I use it for spacer. I topped an outdoor plant about a week ago, I don’t even remember which one it was. Decided to use it for an example. I dipped it in clone X after scraping the sides of the cut end. I was lucky enough to get a node right at the bottom and another one just above that. I put just enough water in the cup to cover the two nodes and change the water every other day. It is sitting under my plants in the flowering room under 12/12 lighting at the moment, 18/6 would speed it up a little bit.
If you look where I circled in the pictures below, you can see that there is a root starting at each node. There will be many more starting and they will Start if you don’t have a node, It just takes longer. :+1:t3::v:t3:

Next time you do a big trim on your plants that are in veg, take some of the branches and practice. Use what you have. If you’re going to do production, you might want to spend money for a cloner. But it’s not necessary if you’re just gonna do A few every once in a while. :v:t3:

7 Likes

One day later!

4 Likes

Almost there need a few more days maybe a week

4 Likes

@happilyretired So that I fully understand, the cutting is in rockwool and that is placed in a plastic cup that has holes in its bottom. That cup is placed in a second cup that has water in it.
*** Is the cup containing the cutting sitting on some sort of spacer in the water cup to avoid the rockwool from staying soaked?

3 Likes