What else do you grow in your garden?

A little update from my place. Our tunnel is finally in, the structure was in an accident about 3 weeks ago, hence the delay, too much weight on the trailer so the car lost control and overturned, luckily no one was hurt, but alot was lost and the structure went back to the big city until we made another plan. Installing the water tanks and pipes in the next week. It will be used to grow vegetables and seedlings for sale to the local community.

Picked some beans from the garden day before yesterday and made a lovely veggie/bean soup yesterday, an entire pot gone in 60 seconds.

Butternut soup coming up, this was picked about a month ago. Butternut, nutmeg and cream.

My partner is away, so we slaughtering one of her pigs tomorrow for a small braai with friends and collegues. Its going to be interesting cause its half bushpig x landrace pig. I will ask her permission when she gets back on Monday!!! I might be slaughtered by her on Tuesday so this is my evidence.

8 Likes

The polyprop is almost on, tied down, seeds are in the trays and planting is almost around the corner. No safety mechanisms in South Africa, one just needs to get the job done. On top of the world.

4 Likes

@bow4buck hey brother, I’m next door to east. Being were close did you have plants go to seed early? Almost all my spices basil parsley cilantro. I’m kinda lost on that. That heat we got maybe? Sorry I lost topic a little.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah im blaming the heat to. Got all kinds of stuff trying to go to seed on me. Onio s and radish bolting big time.

3 Likes

So hundreds of cabbages have been planted in half of the tunnel last week. It begins. So damn dry now pumping up to 1000 litres of more water per day! Chillies coming next, any good chilli sauce recipes @Slym3r?

8 Likes

No I don’t do hot. I can find you some though. Land of hot eattin over here.

2 Likes

No sweat, :broccoli: :mushroom:. Southerners like it spicy/cajun and make crazy hot sauces.

4 Likes

New update on my plants. My pineapple sage and two habeneros didn’t make it for my dog ate them. Have no fear because I acquired another habenero and another pineapple sage and they are flourishing and growing big. One out of three of my pineapple babies has started to bloom and I couldn’t be more excited right now for a plant. This is my first time growing this plant and my first time ever seeing this so I’m flabbergasted

7 Likes

Hey guys, unrelated cannabis question but needing some advice with our tunnel cabbages we growing? They are a slow growing variety, first mistake, also they were planted to close to eachother. I wamt to know do you think we should prune all the bigger lower leaves off? Like cannabis, clearing the lower space will imprive airflow and prevent older leaves rotting? @bow4buck , would love your input.

We starting with planting chilli and cannabis today . Spring has sprung .

5 Likes

I’ve never grown cabbage in a tunnel. Usually 6-8" is enough between plants to grow full size heads, I like a little more space 10-12". Outdoors in the field I leave all the foliage. The lower leaves for me are excellent slug bait so they leave the head alone. In the tunnel id only remove them as you see them turning bad. If healthy let it be, they are still helping produce the head. Again, never done them in a tunnel before😁

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helped and made sense. I was going the opposite route and going to remove leaves. Yes cabbage is not a usual tunnel crop, but its our first crop in the tunnel on no budget, with limited water. So going with something easy and a guaranteed a cash crop, easy to grow, every shop in my area will buy them. We taking small steps, need a cash flow for making improvements. Thank you again.

6 Likes

There are plenty of people that I’ve heard prune their cabbage. I’ve never seen the need. But another lil tip if your market is accepting. If you take them while good, some places call them spring greens and sell them. They are pretty tasty :grin:

4 Likes

Our market is very basic here, spinach, tomatoes, cabbage, corn, pineapples, weed in that order. One does not try new things around here, unless you willing to travel to bigger markets in the cities. Thats about it. Just to let you know on Thursday, a small South African rural farmer ( me ) and a Zimbabwean entrepreneur ( tunnel owner ) are going through the beautiful pictures you share on here of your crops. I was telling him how beautiful your veggies and fruits look and you sell to local markets in the USA and sure you had the answer.

5 Likes

Much appreciated for the thought. I’m just a small farmer to though and I do grow cabbage, spring and fall.
Turning over alot of beds now getting ready to plant for a fall harvest. Busy busy busy and in a heat wave. Killing this ole man. But I’m also envious of you. If I could.sell weed at the local market id think I died and went to heaven.

4 Likes

Great thread

3 Likes

A couple apologies in order from my side @Slym3r and @Olcoot . Sorry I been offline for several days on a little mission. I had a guest stay over for 1 night that lead to 4 nights of talking, strategizing, smoking, walking, drinking, laughing eating. Simon Strainhunters popped past with a drone and we had a blast in my neck of the woods. Damn it was a responsible party. Here are a couple of images from the drone ,battling to upload, edit the drone footage. I need a drone, damn cool piece of technology. Here is a picture of the bigger picture.

11 Likes

Swiss chard, garlic and tomatoes have been excellent, benefits of similar horticulture.

5 Likes

The colours of the two bigger tomatoes, can just imagine what they taste like. So what you making for dinner tonight?

Just uploaded the completed drone video of our homestead. It was taken about 4 days ago and goes over most of our farm. Love seeing our pigs free ranging in the bush!!! The song is recorded by my neighbor and was originally by Still Corners, and is called The Message. I liked his version of the original.

10 Likes

Awesome! Looks like you have yourself a little slice of heaven out there.

I just got a drone also…… still learning to fly it. I’m really impressed with how stable the footage is on your video. They’re pretty cool toys tho :+1:t4: I’ll post a video when I have a good one to show.

@chrisj

6 Likes