Is anyone using supplementary UV light?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is using uv supplementary light in their grows, and if so which one? I’m thinking about getting either the HLG or Cali Lightworks uvb light. The HLG is led while the Cali is a t5. The HLG is like $169, if you can find one in stock and the Cali goes from $99 to $169 depending on store, but you can get it right now on sale at Cali Lightworks for $75 after the 15% off sale is deducted. I’m thinking of getting a couple of the Cali Lightworks ones. Each does a 4x4 area at 3ft hanging distance. If you don’t have enough room if reccoment cutting back in the length of time you have it on each time.

3 Likes

I thought about it - but seriously, I could improve some other portion of a garden grow before I was down to adding UV.

In 2020 the biggest improvement I have made was discovering
Fish-Bone meal and Lobster meal/compost.

-grow happy

3 Likes

Here are some threads with info.

.How long does everybody run UVB? - Grow from Home - Growers Network Forum

1 Like

@poppa
Hi, yeah man, fish meals great. I’ve been using Alaska fish fertilizer for almost 30 years now. lol. I’ve never tried, or even heard of, lobster meal though. What’s it do and what’s the primary nutrients in it please man?
Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

@Slym3r
Hi, thanks a lot man, you rock bro.
Merry Christmas man!!!

1 Like

If you keep posting your light stuff here, we will be able to help you out the best. Back and forth, folks tend to get confused and mistakes happen.

That way we can advise properly. You know how stoners be. Lol

3 Likes

No doubt brother, thanks. I’m just now trying out switching from MH/HPS to led’s. I just ordered my first leds from electric shy a couple weeks ago. I got a couple of the new v3 es300’s I’m going to test. If they give me as good a high quality bud as hps/me I’ll prob buy them for my whole grow.

3 Likes

Let me know. I am rocking hps/cmh as well.

Cats like @PreyBird1 have made this venture. They say great things about the change.

2 Likes

So it is probably an east coast thing. Lobsta

it is a good Nitrogen supplement to recharge soil - it takes a bit longer to break down like 3 weeks. Like any organics it does not add nutrients immeadiatly.

I believe Coast of Maine has a 6-2-0 product - it is the Chitins and Cal/Mag from the shells that make it a good recharge nutrient or in VEG

I have a Fish-Bone-meal 3-18-0 I also use 1:1 with the lobster meal in flower

3 Likes

You run some good nutes. I assume your a living soil pops?

Yeah, I’ve been using hps/mh for 28years now, so it’s a BIG FUCKING CHANGE for me. I’ve been thinking about it for a while now and doing a shit tons reasearch on LED’s and how they work and everything about them (I’m actually a research scientist, so I employ a lot of the methodology I use in classifying artifacts n stuff to my growing. I employ the scientific method when testing out anything new.
After a lot of research on lights I came across The Green Sunshine Company and their Electric Sky lights. They come in 180 and 330 watt versions and seem fucking amazing. I’ve never before seen a light withheld as good light distribution across the entire canopy! Even the corners are hitting over 800! …or so they say; we’ll see for real when mine comes in and I can test it out.
What do you think of the cmh lights? I’ve never used them, but they’re another type I’ve looked into and interest me. The main reason I’ve never tried them being that you can’t air cool the reflectors and I don’t have ac in my tents. I have heat and ac in the room I keep them in, so if it’s hot in tent I’ve got to up ac in room and it’s taken I’m through my 6” ac infinity active air intake with a hepa carbon filter on it; I use another infinity 6
T6 for exhaust as well. I run them both through the same ac infinity cloud line controller where I can set min/max temp and humidity and the fans will keep it inbeteren my numbers. I really love their fans.

2 Likes

I use t5s for slow veg, cmh 315 for fast veg, and hps for flower.

You can run the ladies under the t5s forever with very little growth. As soon as the cmh hit them, they grow fast. Temps are manageable. I leave the door open to the closet. Stays about 73 with 2 fans on them…

2 Likes

Funny you should ask that, I was standing there looking at my girls yesterday right before the lights went off. I am running two full spectrum 5500k side lights, and above the girls is a SF 4000 which includes both UV and far red LED’s. As I am looking at the buds, I notice a marked difference in the amount of Trichomes on the buds in the middle of the tent away from the 5500k side lights and under the 4000k spider farmer light. Now we have all read that UV and Far Red enhance resin production right? So right now this second I just took two pictures one of a bud 3 inches away from the 5500K and one directly under the 4000k with UV and red. Which one do you think has more resin on it, top or bottom picture?

And it should be pretty obvious which is which just from the color of the photos.

4 Likes

Let me know how those work out for you.
I run mostly sodium with air hoods. Gonna change up in veg imma thinking at some point, use halide and leds in veg. Think imma change er up.
Kinda liked those I think was called nextlight.com industrial lighting… nothings cheap sho ain’t!!!

3 Likes

@MrBlue. Yeah, sure will do man, no prob. Yeah, from all the research I’ve done on LED’s, those NextLight’s seen pretty good.
And yeah bro, they’re all kinda pricy, but I don’t mind that as long as I’m getting good results and a high quality product that justifies the initial financial outlay.

2 Likes

Looked and sounded good to me bruh… I’d research them so more on spectrum etc before I bought and price comparing. Well just do this, buy like 10 of them test them and let me know :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Well those hlg ain’t cheap either if you need more then 2 lol
I’m with @poppa on the uv. Would be my last thing on my agenda,unless you have everything dialed in the way you want to run for the long haul…But ofcourse if one has many Jackson’s to throw down then he’ll buy a few lol… My thoughts.

1 Like

The difference in my buds under the HLG650R verse my CMH315 are noticeably different. Don’t get me wrong CMH315 can make some decent buds. But this 650R is just a beast. I am actually going to pick up a 300R for one of my 3x3’s. Then I have the option of great flowering in my 5x5 and one 3x3 and leave the other 3x3 with CMH315 for veg.

5 Likes

Italian ice :thinking:

1 Like

Jory, did you buy some? Curious…

1 Like