Seeder Breeder Grow Journal let the pollen begin!

Well this is my biggest and best year yet. Always improving and learning. In this grow journal my hopes are to almost show a starter guide to breeding with males and females. From outdoor to indoor. I’m open to any questions on practically anything I might not be able to answer every question but will give the best advice I can from my personal experience.

So a basic summary as of now. My outdoor breed spot that I have been working on for years is in the best shape ever. Tonight makes nine plants total at that spot, including the male. I have mainly seeds from Coloradoseedinc. four different cultivars to be exact. Then I have two from 5packgenetics. One from my breed last year and a couple randoms from my grower friends. Now in the breed tent I got a wonderful surprise last night. I thought I had two male Ghost Of Leroy’s. One of them is a duckfoot pheno that I planed on breeding with. Well come to find out the non duckfoot pheno is a female! So since I already planned on breeding with the male duckfoot why not just back cross and I’ll have my own cultivar of Ghost Of Leroy. And I’ll throw in a couple like our cherry and other females that would be nice crossing with that male.

Hopefully it is a fun journey and everyone can learn something they might not have known. Including myself! Oh and just by the way I do have plenty of these cherry seeds and would love to swap seeds with whoever might be interested. And come the end of the season when I harvest hopefully even a variety to swap with.

The infamous cherry! Happy growing!

23 Likes

@970cannetics looking forward to your journal. Lovely setting and crazy to think your season starts out by making IBL ducksfoot pheno so early. I am sure this will be a fun, interesting journey for us all too, so I subbed to your journal! Happy growing.

7 Likes

Nice!!! Ducks!

5 Likes

Did a little work before the weekend. Here is a before and after on the male. Plus I transplanted a Krishna x Cherry and put that girl in there too.

And that was all before the weekend. So here is a couple pictures from today.

So that’s the update on the breeding tent for now.

How about some pictures of my garden. I will probably harvest a Zucchini Squash, Zucchini, and a Pepper tomorrow.

Some strawberries I started by seed but don’t know where to put yet. Being the strawberry patch is already overrun.

My wildflower mix “save the bee’s” is looking great too. There’s a quick update on all that good stuff. There is plenty more where that comes from. Had some funky looking bug in the breed tent I was hoping would just die off and didn’t. It had babies! So I sprayed neem oil. Hopefully that does the trick! Other than that those plants are kicking butt. Also I was thinking since I cant dim that light at all I might go 11 hours on and 13 hours off. I’m doing 12’s now with great results so far.

8 Likes

@tenga

So far no results yet. Only the tiny bit of pollen I did get so far was from the one pollen sack that had released. So none have released yet since I’ve harvested them. But its hasn’t even been a week and it should take until it all dries out completely.

The best thing to do at this point would be to put it all on tinfoil in a place where it wont be disturbed by anything even the slightest breeze. But ziplock bag is my best option in my circumstances.

6 Likes

Here’s the update on the breed spot. Everything looked great today after going without water since Friday morning. With that being my main worry I was able to get 20 gallons into my gravity flow drip system. On top of that one of the last five gallons I actually even put some Great White Mycorrhizae. The Male got enough water it overflowed its green tray but it wont get any Great White. It really shouldn’t need anything. Most everything that was in a hard pre-flower has now obviously gone back into veg. Even the male isn’t showing any pollen sacks that would release anytime soon. It’s been hard keeping up with the watering system on these ones but they seem to be handling the shortages just fine. To another 50 gallons hauled this week! Cheers! :beers: :tornado:

6 Likes

Hey 970!
Is this a guerilla grow? Looks like ur veggies are gonna produce well. My garden veggies were a disappointment this year, except for my peppers. I might have to put up some screencloth. Its so hot! My zucchini just up and dried up, overnight? Weird.

Tx for tagging me -set to watch.
:+1:t3: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

That screencloth sounds like a great idea. I know a guy who uses them for broccoli and spinach and it does wonders on with the heat.

This spot started out as a gorilla grow spot but has slowly turned into a legit garden spot over the years. I plan on caging the whole thing in with chicken wire this year. But so far my cages have kept the wild animals at bay. This spots about 100 yards or so off the side of the canyon from where the house is. I have a five gallon bucket placed at the top of the driveway about 150 feet up the hill with distribution tubing leading to the grow spot so I don’t have to haul the water down the hill. It’s working wonders this year! It’s the spot I pretty much started growing in. Such a nice place to hike down to and smoke and relax and wind down and enjoy the view.

Your zucchini dried up and died over night! Wow that would break my heart. I feel like a combination of drippers and screencloth would solve that issue.

Happy growing! And better luck to you!

5 Likes

Boy did I get a show this evening. When I left work it started pouring. But when I got home the weather was clear again. That was only for a little while. The storm must have been heading north for sure because it hit worse at the house. We ended up getting almost four tenths of an inch of rain. That’s a lot being I am located in the desert so our annual rainfall is 13". I started seeing some hail during the first phase of the storm. So I decided I would set out with some sort of cover in my carhartt rain jacket. Once I get to the breed spot it was a lull in the storm and I wondered if it was worth all the effort I had gone through. Plus tearing the trail up since it was almost all slop at this point. Well after not to long of waiting and … CONTACT! IM HIT! IT’S COMING IN HARD! The hail that is. So I throw my makeshift styrofoam cover over most of the ladies, and hover over the male hunching over with my arms out covering it the best I could. Enjoyed the lightning show. After it was all done it was well worth everything. A rainbow started and second and almost a third even! After everything I was glad I was able to cover the plants. once I got back to the house my brother says he didn’t even get hail. Well I sure did! 100 yards away HA! What a storm.

6 Likes

Tonight I tried my hand at cutting, dipping, and sticking clones. Took a few tries with each different cultivar I cut from. Once I got the leaf pattern figured out things started getting easier. I ended up fanning the leafs most of them except a few. Covered them sprayed them and got them under some lights. I used FOOP clone jell to dip the stems in and am using rockwool cubes. Other than that just water for now and will probably feed some stuff after a day.

Once I cut the bigger leafs I didn’t like I fanned them until everything looked way better than when they were looking in the picture. Even the slumped over ones looked happier once they were in a dome and under a light. Hopefully they take root. They all have good homes to go to!

6 Likes

Wow the clones are straight killing it! Actually easier than I thought.

After all the rain we got the other night I’m calling it good on watering everything outside. Will be back at it Monday! Have a great weekend everyone

8 Likes

The breed spot is looking killer after the rainstorm last week I haven’t even needed to haul any water! At least not to anything outside. It even rained again some today, I checked when I got back and still plenty of moisture. Everything looks great! The twins are also enjoying their new home very much.

The male Ghost Ship is really showing its sex now. It still has a good bit before it will really start releasing but at this stage about seven days and you might have issues if you don’t want pollen. This is a good example of a male in hard pre-flower. Really showing off its sex.

We got the order in from 247 garden with the shade netting. So we put that up on the greenhouse in high hopes it will get those 12 ft. plus plants to flower as soon as we can get them to. We also got the lady bug order in finally. So between both gardens, greenhouse, and breed spot, the lady bugs are hard at work.

8 Likes

That’s a very nice looking male you have there

2 Likes

Yes it is the ghostship from Colorado seed inc is a killer cultivar to have!

2 Likes

A quick update. I’ve been getting rain storms almost every evening. I have only had to water once since last week when it started. Looks like it should be like this for the next week. There has only been a couple storms since the first that have really put some moisture down. But its been enough to keep the breed spot at least watered enough.

The breeding tent is really killing it right now. Both of the females are starting to get little popcorn buds. I am trying to wait another week so there will be more bud sites to pollinate. The male is nutting all over itself too! I want to collect some of the pollen but will just wait until I’m ready to pollinate. Just get the old two birds one stone. Less pollen spreading and less showers that way too. The Ghost of Leroy is really just something else. Already just covered in stickiness. Doesn’t look like the pollen is actually getting to either of the females, so I will have to help the polination process. Better that way I have the control I want.

3 Likes

Got back last night to check the breed spot. Haven’t seen any lady bugs since releasing them and they aren’t prevalent around there anyways. Saw a couple aphids so I decided to try doing my IPM this time with diatomaceaus earth. Plan on spraying later in the week, not sure yet what I’ll use. Either neem oil, or horticultural oil. Also planning on purchasing some suffoil x so I can use that as another option for my IPM. So far I like the results from both the neem oil and the horticultural oil. Not so much on some other sprays I have tried.

The male Ghost Ship is getting very close to starting to barely release some pollen sacks. I’m really hoping all these ladies catch up and start flowering before this male starts letting the pollen FLY! But the ladies are killing it! The Doobiebird Daydream I put out before sexing is really looking promising to be female. So that would be two out of three. It’s been raining almost every day at least. Enough I wont be worried about watering the breed spot for almost a week once the rain finally does stop. Which is rare for being in a high country desert. But I love this kind of weather so I’ll take every last bit.

7 Likes

In the breed tent the male Ghost of Leroy duckfoot is finally pretty much finished releasing all of its pollen so this morning before work I did a little bit of pollination enough to see some dust fly. When I got home I completely finished the male and did my best to pollinate both of the ladies I could. Changed the lights to 11.5 on and 12.5 off for a couple days and will transition into 11 on and 13 off.

I cant wait to be able to harvest these seeds. But am very excited to watch them grow and finish along the way. Being this is my first indoor breed. Or indoor flower as a matter of fact.

Finished Male Ghost of Leroy duckfoot.

Female Ghost of Leroy

Cherry

5 Likes

The results of my test of trying to harvest the pollen sacks early and hoping they would release after drying out did not go as I hoped. The little pollen I might have gotten was probably from the few sacks that were ready. And might not be any good anyways at this point because it got so wet.

The better way of doing this or the only way. Is to wait until the pollen sacks do start releasing. Maybe go for a 50/50 on pollen sacks releasing and once that haven’t fully opened yet. Get a cookie tray or a trim tray and cover it in tinfoil. Clip all the branches with the pollen sacks and let them fall onto that tray. Once you get all the branches cut you can place the tray in a place that it will be undisturbed by anything even the slightest breeze. Wait two weeks and let the rest of any pollen that will release and fall off. Remove the branches and pollen sacks you can either fold the aluminum foil up and put it in the freezer or crease it down the middle and pour the pollen into a ziplock.

Collected some good pollen while I was pollinating. Have to have some of that duckfoot!

Pollen sacks that are very close to being ready but havent quite released yet. If you find a male in your garden at this stage and you aren’t wanting seeds well you better get to chopping fast and carefully.

Here you have the pollen sacks completely released.

6 Likes

If there is one thing I’ve learned about kale. Is that aphids sure do like it, a lot. Another thing I have learned about aphids is that they can be hard to identify going from different kinds of plants. Such as Kale here you can see that the larvae are almost the same color as the kale itself. Because they feed of off the plant this is the results. In some cases they can be more clear or see thru. The aphids I see on the farm that feed off of the alfalfa look very bright green. Cannabis they can be more lighter green or clear. But I was able to capture a perfect picture of these pesky bugs at not only its final stage but also its larvae stage. These are not what the eggs look like. The eggs are just these tiny little white specs that will only be on the underside of the leafs. Mainly in the creases and ridges. Very tiny.

4 Likes

The breed spot is taking this weather like a champ. I’ve been checking every day just to make sure nothing bad has happened. I only needed to stake one plant up and the rest are all doing just fine. The amount of rain we have been getting is unreal. There are flash flood warnings, the river is raging. There is floods close nearby in Utah. A little bit of hail here and there but nothing that has done any kind of damage so far. The plants are getting huge! I just want them to flower already.

6 Likes